Skin care routine has become essential nowadays, as everybody talks about their routine and promotes different kinds of products. Taking care of your skin is as important as taking care of any part of your body, and there is a large range of products available in the stores for this issue. But, in order to choose the right products and start your skin care routine, you have to know your skin type, the basic steps to protect your skin, and the ingredients your skin needs.
First step: skin type
Before you begin this routine, you should know what type of skin you have: oily (it easily becomes greasy), dry (it often dries), a combination of dry and oily, or none of this, which is normal skin. Moreover, if your skin gets irritated or if you have an allergic reaction to a cosmetic product, then you have sensitive skin. In case you have some particular conditions like acne, you should see a dermatologist that can help you with specialized advice with respect to skin care products. When you know your skin type, you can start looking for products that work for you.
Second step: the routine
Starting a skin care routine means that you take time both in the morning and in the evening to pay attention to skin conditions such as wrinkles, dark spots, sunburns, or acne. Besides the benefits for your skin, there are many other advantages of this habit: spending quality time with yourself, pampering yourself, gaining more confidence in your look, practicing self care.
Any skin care routine is made of three parts: cleansing, moisturizing and applying sunscreen (only during the day). You can also use serums or toners to hydrate the skin before moisturizing, but the extra products should be working for your skin type.
Third step: ingredients in skin care products
In order to choose the right product for your skin type, you must be aware of the function of the following ingredients:
- Retinoid: prevents signs of aging, acne; should be used a few times a week, and applied before moisturizer.
- Sunscreen: should be used every day to protect skin from sunburn, dark spots, wrinkles. It can be applied on face, neck, ears, and should be at least SPF30 .
- Hyaluronic acid: it keeps the skin moisturized.
- Niacinamide: works for acne, signs of aging and dry skin.
- Ceramide: they keep the skin moisturized; they are good for dry skin and signs of aging.
- Vitamin C: it produces collagen, which is essential to prevent signs of aging. It also prevents hyperpigmentation.
- Peptides: also responsible for producing collagen.
- Chemical exfoliants: such as lactic acid and salicylic acid are effective for acne.
- Benzoyl peroxide: recommended for acne, together with salicylic acid.
The skin care products that you need to buy should hold moisture, stimulate the skin to produce collagen and protect it from the sun. The most expensive products are not always the most effective, but make sure that you buy products that are recommended by dermatologists and that do not contain fragrances and parabens.