Bloating occurs when gas from the intestines is not released in time by flatulence or belching. In some cases, bloating is accompanied by an increase in the size of the abdomen by a few centimeters, but there are also cases in which the abdomen can even double during the day, returning to normal during the night.
There are several causes that lead to this unpleasant sensation, starting from certain foods and reaching other diseases in the body that have a bloating symptom.
What causes bloating?
- Foods such as cereals, beans, cabbage, broccoli, seeds, nuts, fresh fruit – These foods, however, also contain a lot of valuable nutrients for the body, so it should not be avoided, it is enough to ensure a balanced diet, in which both listed foods and fiber and protein products are included.
- Starchy, reheated foods – potatoes, bread, processed foods, pastries – By reheating, these foods change their molecular structure, increasing the amount of resistant starch, a substance that cannot be digested in the small intestine. The food thus reaches the large intestine, and the bacteria that begin to decompose produce gases and cause flatulence.
- Food on the run – When we eat at a fast pace, the food is not chewed well, we swallow a lot of air and, invariably, bloating occurs.
- Water consumption during the meal – When we swallow water during the meal, we also swallow air, and the consequence is the appearance of bloating.
- Sour and cold drinks – Carbon dioxide often leads to bloating for obvious reasons, but cold drinks are not recommended either, as they impose extra stress on the body.
- Stress – During tense periods, our body no longer functions at optimal levels, so that digestive problems may occur, or those already present may worsen. If bloating occurs at such a time, B-complex vitamins, passionflower or rhodiola supplements could help restore emotional balance.
- The habit of chewing gum – Because we swallow more air than normal, the abdomen swells. In the case of sugar-free variants, the risk is double, because they generally contain sorbitol, which ferments in the intestines.
- Hormonal fluctuations that occur in women’s bodies – During ovulation, the ovaries produce higher amounts of estrogen, and under these conditions, the abdominal muscles relax more than usual. The muscles in the intestines are lazier, so they are no longer as efficient at transporting food.
- Various food intolerances – Lactose intolerance, gluten intolerance, both caused by enzyme deficiencies, are common causes of bloating
- Food poisoning
How can you stop bloating?
Consume ginger tea– A slow digestive system leads to a slow metabolism. Therefore, stimulating the metabolism is essential, and ginger tea is recommended in this case. Known since ancient times for its health benefits, ginger tea is recommended for treating various health and aliments-related problems. If you want to get rid of bloating quickly, drink a cup of ginger tea in the early hours of the morning, before breakfast.
Consume medicinal charcoal– Coal is another traditional remedy commonly used to deal with indigestion or bloating. It is a slightly modified form of coal used for heating because it is extremely porous. Its effects are physical. It is an extraordinary absorbent. When you eat it, it absorbs all the intestinal gas.
Eat bananas– Bananas are rich in potassium, a nutrient that helps regulate fluid levels in the body. In addition to their health benefits, bananas help you get rid of bloating. But you need to eat this food for several days. According to studies, you need to include bananas in your diet and make sure you eat them at least once or twice a day for at least a month.
Reduce salt intake- Excess salt in the body leads to an overproduction of fluids, which causes the kidneys to function more than usual and causes a deposit of fluid in the tissues and especially in the abdomen. Therefore, bloating sensations may occur after eating too salty foods. Reducing salt intake is thus beneficial in overcoming bloating due to pregnancy, menstruation and constipation.
Pineapple– This fruit is very effective against bloating and helps prevent constipation. It contains an enzyme called bromelain that promotes good digestion and prevents the production of prostaglandins responsible for inflammation.